Friday, June 22, 2012

Juicy

On Monday night, I watched the documentary Fat, Sick and Nearly Dead. Basically it's about this Australian dude who comes to the US to cruise around the country for a month or two and drink juice which he makes out of the back of his car. Seems totally legit to me.

Obviously, he was on a mission to convert people to his liquid diet and he did his job pretty well. He convinced a few people throughout the movie to actually join him on this fast. He also convinced me. 

Mind you, it's not hard to convince me into trying new things that involve health crazes. I've done a raw food cleanse before. I was vegetarian for a time. Vegan for a few days. I once gave up anything made from corn for Lent (after watching the doc King Corn)... that was very difficult.

 So, obviously I had to try this juice fast. The next day, I went and bought a boat load of green stuff and the fast began on Wednesday.


Before you start to get inspired, let me tell you it's Friday and I've already failed.

Less than 24 hours in, I got the worst WORST headache ever. And it didn't go away for another 24 hours. Then I went to Starbucks.

I did a little research and it's suggested that you actually cut out a bunch of stuff like caffeine and meat 5 to 7 days before you start the juice fast. How typical that I read the directions after I screw something up.

Anyway, I'm just juicing once a day now until I can get my act together and get myself off the caffeine.

Juice Recipe:

2 Cups Kale
2 Cups Spinach
4 Stalks of Celery
1/2 Cucumber
2 Green Apples
1 inch of root ginger

2 comments:

  1. We watched the same documentary and tried the juice fast as well! Or, actually, my fiance did the fast, I just juiced for 2 meals a day and still had food for lunch or dinner.

    I like incorporating juice into my day. I was really lacking in the fruits and veggies department of my diet, and I could feel that it was making a difference in my health. I even dropped 5 lbs.

    Keep up with the juicing! You'll be really glad that you did. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Lindsay! I definitely think that juicing is a great way to get some bonus nutrients (I'm terrible at eating enough veggies everyday too) so I plan to keep it up!

    ReplyDelete