Thursday, June 13, 2013

Sleepless and Sewing

On Tuesday, I was recovering from an all nighter. Something I don't do often, and only happens on those occasional nights that I either a) am feeling like a fun addict and can't seem to pull myself away from something awesome, regardless of how early I have to get up in the morning or b) worked at the youth shelter in town because a kid needed a place to stay for a night. On this particular Tuesday, it was the latter cause for my sleep depravity. I had rolled crashed into bed at approximately 7:30 am and set my alarm for 9:30 am. Ahhhh sweet sleep...

After working a few hours at my day job, where I had consumed a, let's call it, "decent" amount of coffee I officially achieved zombie status. My brain had stopped working almost completely but my body was full of energy. Most likely from all of that caffeine.

As I was pacing back and forth in my apartment, trying to figure out what I could do to calm my shaky self, my friend Krister Lile saved the day. He had a project for me!

FYI: Krister is cool. He is a local interior and graphic designer and you should probably hire him for your next remodeling project.

Anyway, what he had in mind for this day was a quick sewing project. He was creating invites for a party being held at his parents' house and, being the clever guy he is, he wanted these paper invites to be sewn together.

I busted out my machine as he drove up the hill from his studio to my apartment. I hadn't used my tiny blue sewing machine in quite a while, since I always seem to be working on project at my shop. I was excited to get this thing out again.


The project took less than 10 minutes. We decided on a zig zag stitch. Gold thread on one side (because that is what the bobbin currently held... nobody wants to reload a bobbin, you with me?), black on the other. I sewed each one in line with the next, creating a sort of paper banner, and we used a knife to cut them apart.

We agreed that more paper sewing should be done in the future.


1 comment:

  1. I'm in total agreement with you on the bobbin reload... puts a hitch in the giddiyup of a project but gold thread is pretty rad with anything. I'm still on the lookout for a cool project involving sewing paper. Keep us posted if you come up with more! Nice post.

    ReplyDelete