Sunday, January 24, 2010

Conviction

I've been thinking a lot lately about my career path and/or my "calling" in life. I listened to a radio interview of the author of the book The Element (fyi not a good name for a book. It's impossible to google and find). He claimed that each of us has our "element" - that thing you are passionate about, you have a natural capacity for and you are driven to succeed in. For instance, music isn't my element. Why? I have a natural capacity for it and maybe even passion - but I don't have the drive to be successful in it.

I was discussing this theory with a friend and she added that it should also be something "useful" to society. I completely agree. Many careers and jobs are useful, so it doesn't mean it has to be something immense, but something the world needs.

I've also considered the idea that if you aren't saying something that at least one person disagrees with, you probably aren't saying anything worth peoples' time. Even in marketing. If someone doesn't hate what you're doing then probably nobody has noticed it.

Anyway, I thought I'd write all this out because I just saw this video on a friend's blog. I love his idea of conviction. And I've realized that whatever I do, I hope to do it with conviction and a purpose.

Typography from Ronnie Bruce on Vimeo.

1 comment: